F.P.T. Standard Water Series "SW - FRP / PVC" Basket Strainer - Reducing
For Commercial Pools, Aquariums & Water Parks
Materials of Construction
F.P.T SW - FRP / PVC basket strainers have been designed and engineered specifically for aquatic applications. These strainers offer the corrosive resistance of PVC combined with the mechanical strength of fiberglass plus the durability of stainless steel baskets.
While standard installations call for aquatic strainers to be mounted on the suction side of pumps, the SW - FRP / PVC provides the necessary mechanical durability to be located on the pressure side of the pump system. All strainers are hydrostatically tested at 100 PSI and are rated for 75 PSI Working Pressure. (For those situations which may call for higher pressures, refer to the F.P.T. General or Severe Duty Strainers.)
The strainers are designed to create minimum pressure drop in the line. The open basket area of the strainer with standard basket is a minimum of 5 times the cross sectional area of the pipe.
Pressure drop curves are available for specific flow rates. These curves provide pressure loss information not only for clean baskets but for the baskets as they become fouled. (These are calculated values. Actual values may vary depending on the installation.)
All F.T.P. SW Strainers, both simplex and duplex, incorporate the following STANDARD components:
- FRP/PVC Housing -- PVC offers complete corrosion resistance. The integral FRP over wrap provides the necessary mechanical strength to prevent strainer failure due to hydraulic forces when in operation.
- 75 PSI Working Pressure -- All SW strainers are rated for a working pressure of 75 PSI. This rating, though not required for suction side installations, allows the piping designer complete freedom in locating the strainer anywhere in the piping system, suction or discharge sides of the pump. Strainers are factory tested at 100 PSI prior to shipment.
- Clear Acrylic Top Cover -- The clear cover allows visual inspection of the strainer. These covers, manufactured of "banker's glass" for their high resistance to pressure and shock offer easy maintenance, eliminating unnecessary cleaning.
- Quick Disconnect Top Clamp -- Quick disconnect tops allow the operator to remove cover without the need of any tools.
- Stainless Steel Basket -- Baskets furnished have 1/8" perforations on 9/16" staggered centers. 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16" are also available.
- Flanged Ends -- SW strainers are furnished with ANSI 150# flat face flange connections for inlet and outlet. Flanges are Van Stone (loose ring) type for easy installation.
- Drains -- All strainers are supplied with bottom side drain fitting and plug. Refer to dimensional drawings pages for sizes.
- Low Pressure Drop -- All strainers are sized to provide an open basket area of 5 times the cross sectional area of the pipe.
To provide the piping designer a greater amount of flexibility, SW - FRP / PVC water strainers can be furnished with the OPTIONAL features as detailed below.
Pressure Taps -- Installed on the inlet and outlet port, these taps allow for mounting pressure gages and/or switches.
- Varied Baskets -- Though the standard basket is stainless steel, F.P.T. can furnish baskets in PVC or MONEL.
- Varied Perforations -- Perforations of 1/4" holes and 3/8" staggered centers are available from stock. For filtration finer than 1/8", mesh screening can be installed on the basket.